Pathway to RAD Registered Teacher Status (RTS)
This new course is aimed at teachers with a ballet teaching qualification at Level 4 or higher, or equivalent, and RAD RTS status will be conferred on successful completion of each of the course modules.
As a registered teacher, you will also gain recognition by joining our professional network of over 8,000 other teachers enjoying the benefits of membership such as:
- access to the Members’ Area of the RAD website
- a subscription to Dance Gazette, Focus on Members, Focus on Examsand Focus on Education publications
- a monthly e-newsletter,
- inclusion in the RAD’s ‘Find a Teacher’ online search, and
- a member discount in the RAD Canada shop.
Read on for further information, or apply now.
The Pathway to RTS consists of three compulsory distance-learning modules. As a self-directed course of study aimed at qualified teachers, tutoring and feedback on study progress is not a feature of the course. However, each module is supported by comprehensive online study materials and group discussions via a student forum. One hour of academic guidance via email and/or telephone is available for use throughout the duration of the course to support students with accessing study materials.
In addition to the provided course materials, students are expected to purchase a range of RAD syllabus resources (books, DVDs, CDs) and other academic text books that are required to complete the modules. Full details of the required resources will be provided upon successful application to the Pathway to RTS.
The Pathway to RTS requires 600 study hours to complete, including preparation of the final assessment materials. Students are able to plan these study hours flexibly around their own professional and personal schedules.
Achievement is measured against learning outcomes for each module and successful completion of assessments. Self-assessment is available through participation in study tasks and group discussion via the student forum.
Assessment will consist of:
- an online questionnaire
- submission of a 6-week unit of work for a chosen syllabus and a detailed lesson plan, and
- submission of a DVD demonstrating, as a teacher, selected RAD syllabus extracts with a 45-60 minute practical lesson of selected RAD Graded or Vocational Graded Syllabi settings. This should be accompanied by a written critical self-evaluation of the class (500 words).
All assessments are Pass/Fail with one opportunity to re-sit.
A ballet teaching qualification at Level 4 or higher (or equivalent). Please see Application Guidelines below.
The language of delivery is English. If English this is not your first language, please visit the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) website. Although the test is not required, it is a good indicator of the standard of English required for the programme. You should achieve a score of 6 or more overall on the IELTS test.
Admission to the March 2018 cohort is being offered at a fee of £1,950. One-off costs (for course duration):
- RAD Syllabus Books/CDs/DVDs £100-£300
- Additional programme resources £100-£250
Please read and complete the documents below and submit both the application form and equal opportunities form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the deadline for application is 14 February 2018. The Pathway will commence on 5 March 2018.
For further information about applications, contact email@example.com or call +44 (0)20 7326 8094.